Monday, July 2, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to the inaugural post to my Blogger! I hope to keep this updated with all the cool new nouns (people, places, and things) that I'll be seeing as I travel to Europe. First few posts will be a copy of my past posts on Livejournal. Basically, I want to keep them as mirrors in case one doesn't work at the moment.

Since I'm in pre-Europe mode, I think I can share what has been going on the past few days. So this weekend, I traveled to Destin, Florida for my cousin's, Ryan's, wedding. Let me say, I am so happy I got to go. Even though I spent most of the weekend traveling, that was probably the best wedding I have even been to. The wedding was literally on the beach there, with just a simple, quick ceremony
.

There were maybe 40 people who actually attended the wedding. We dressed casually, taking off our shoes and sandals as we sat down on those plastic, white, porch chains on the beautiful white sand.
But since it was on a public beach, all the people on the beach, as well as, many of the guests from their balconies in the resorts behind the beach stopped to admire the proceedings. As Ryan said, it was a small wedding with a big time feel.

Rachael literally stopped traffic as she crossed the road to the beach, and they said their vows as the sunset. Fortunately (for me anyways) the clouds came in, so I wasn't wasn't blind the whole time. After the mandatory picture session, we all took a seashell, lined up at the shore's edge, and threw them into the sea as we made a wish. Then we ended the night celebrating with dinner and cake at the Lighthouse Restaurant. I had so much fun seeing everyone and even meeting a few new ones. I'll miss my Mom's side of the family while I'm over in Europe, so I'm glad I got to see them. And who'd a thunk that Rachael's family from PA would have a daughter at UNC? Sometimes it's truely a small world.

So all and all, Saturday night made all my traveling craziness well worth it. Here was everything I did:

DayTime Action
Friday2:00 pmFly to North Carolina with only an hour delay in Philly due to sitting at gate.
6:00 pmArrive in North Carolina
8:00 pmFix my Swedish visa because I wrote the wrong begin date
Saturday2:00 amLeave to drive to Florida
12:00 pmArrive Destin
6:00 pmWedding time!
Sunday12:00 amCollapse in bed
5:00 amGet up to drive to NC
2:30 pmArrive in Charlotte
3:30 pmSpend an hour trying to obtain my boarding pass
5:20 pmGet on plane to Regan International
7:00 pmArrive Reagan in Washington D.C.
10:00 pmLeave for Philly after an hour delay so we can pickup a deadheading pilot (they literally sent us off the plane because we were waiting for this pilot)
11:00 pmArrive Philly and I just miss my plane
Monday1:00 amFinally talk to an airline representative (long line). Balk at next flight leaving at 10:00 am Rent car. Drive seafoam green Rio to State College
6:00 amArrive in State College after an hour powernap about 3/4 the way.

What a weekend!

No comments: