I have never seen a crazier place than my house on the big day. The wedding was at 12:00. Those five hours before the wedding, from 7 am and on, were absolutely busy. Kyle and I went to pick up the cake and just about every bag of ice we could muster. Then it was back home so I could start puling out the food of the fridge and putting it on the serving trays. Thankfully everyone had a job and knew what they needed to do. The backyard looked stupendous. In the back left corner under our huge oak tree, they setup where the ceremony was going to take place, with about 90 chairs. To the right of that were our two big tents with round tables. In front of all that under our cedar tree, we setup coolers with all the drinks. And on the patio we set up tables for all the food. I really liked how it all looked in the end. It was simple and basically just a big party. Thankfully, we could have everyone park at the lot just down the street because there was no way they were parking in our driveway nor on busy Sardis Road.
The ceremony itself was beautiful. The flower girl was especially cute, as they always are. For some reason, flower girls I’ve noticed like to conserve petals. This one dropped maybe four on her way. So at the end, everyone was motioning for her to make a huge pile where Dana and Dad were going to stand. Some I think even told her to dump them all on the ground. After a bunch of hesitant looks from her, and some jerky motions, she finally did. But the look on her face said, “I know I’m going to get in trouble for this.”
The party was a blast. I basically went around talking to whomever I could. And honestly I know I missed some people, and there were many more I wish I could have talked with for much, much longer. Oh well. I think that’s how everyone feels at a wedding in your immediate family. My toast went very well. I had started to become a little nervous about it on Friday because I wanted to tell the story about when I had first heard about Dana without sounding stupid. Commonly when I want to tell a story, I’ll leave out really important parts because I get ahead of myself. I made myself write it all out the night before to plan what I needed to say, and it went perfectly. Kyle introduced us, and I went in with the story.
After that and the cake, people started clearing out until we were left with two families who’s dads work with my dad, a family friend from Wisconsin, Dana’s brother’s family and my grandma sitting outside drinking (Rum and cokes and beer). This was especially great for the bride and groom as they really needed the time to not have to think and do because they had done so much all week. The kids played on the trampoline (young and old kids) while we sat and talked. Around 6, everyone started leaving, and Dad and Dana went to the hotel room Kyle and I setup for them uptown. Finally peace.
Yeah, we cleaned up a little. But why clean up when you can save it for tomorrow, no? And that’s exactly what we did.
OK! Now on with the pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment