Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Packing is tough work!

All this week I have been busy planning, organizing, and packing for the big move this weekend. That's right, this is my last week in PA. It's crazy the amount of stuff you can collect in just a few years. I've been trying to condense as much of it as I can though, since the bulk will be stored at my dad's place while I'm overseas. I can't afford to ship all my belongings over to Sweden and back for such a short venture, and renting a storage place somewhere in Charlotte turned out to be too costly as well (over $100 per month). So squeezing it all into my Dad's place it is!

For those of you who haven't seen where I lived in State College, I have enough stuff (furniture) to fill my 2 bedroom duplex. Most of it was furniture from my parents as they got upgrades for themselves. As I don't want to keep all that furniture (say goodbye to that 25 year old computer desk that should have lasted only 10 and that sleeper sofa that was destroyed before I even got it), I've been trying to sell off what I can. Whatever I cannot sell at the end of the week (which has been little), the local furniture donation company (Centre Peace) is coming to take the rest.

You know, furniture aside, I still have a ton of stuff. While packing I actually keep three boxes going. One for things I want to keep, one for Goodwill, and one for trash. So far, I've taken two car full trips to Goodwill and have at least three 18x18x28 boxes outside full of trash. I've set dates to stop all the utilities, put in a change of address form, altered my magazine subscriptions, had my carpets cleaned (apart of my rental contract), and finished up the last science related things I had to do with school. Now when I come in, it's all about packing and moving.

No comments: